I want you all to go through this book and especially if you are running or planning to build a brand.
J.W. Marriott Jr. lists out 12 factors that according to him made Marriott and himself a brand worth talking about.
Some Key Takeaways from the book:
- The true test of a company is the kind of manager it turns out.
- Decide to Decide! No sense in doubting it later!
- You can’t really know your strengths and weaknesses until you test them.
- You can lead change or it can lead you. The trick is to manage risk productively.
- Saying ‘Employees First’ is one thing and making it a permanent feature of your corporate culture requires action. Take care of your Employees and they will take care of your Customers. Everybody wins this way.
- When you open your ears, you open your brain, so it should be an opportunity to learn. Always remember, ‘Someone who is a polished speaker or presenter doesn’t mean that his or her ideas are always right.’ Make it active listening, ask questions and get to the heart of matter.
- No tree grows to the sky i.e. even the healthiest tree can’t go on forever. ( What do you think of this one?)
I hope you all gain something from it.